Sometimes God sends the most unexpected messengers.
For over 2 years I’ve been dealing with a watery right eye. Well, its not just watery; its full of puss sometimes and hurts a good deal of the time. I’ve been to all kinds of eye doctors. Every doctor would say, “If this doesn’t work, you may have to see an eyelid specialist – one who deals with tear ducts.” It was the worst case scenario threat.
This week I went to see him. Dr. Mather – educated in all the right medical schools, highly recommended, well respected in the medical community and one of only 200 eyelid specialists in our country.
Anyway, Dr. Mather explained what he thought and what he was going to do before he began to probe my tear duct. He told me we were looking for something that was blocking it, usually that was a little stone, crystallized matter that had built up. He would clear it out and that would be it. All done; I’d be better. He said, “99% of the time this works.”
I knew right then I was the 1% and sure enough I was right. No stones. So, now what? Wait. That’s what he said. We could do surgery but that would compound some other eye issues I have and he didn’t want to do that unless he absolutely had to. So, we’re waiting.
Now, I’ve prayed for healing of my eye for these 2 years, especially since March or so, when it started to get really painful. My husband has even put his hand over my eye everyday and prayed. So, a lot of verbal prayers have been lifted up. But, some silent prayers have been lifted up too. After my visit, I sent up one of those silent prayers. “Give me something, Lord. Tell me what to do.”
The next evening I was watering my potted plants in the backyard. My driveway is really long and goes all the way to the backyard and then opens into a patio. Most people who know us will pull all the way down the drive but those who don’t will stop near the front door.
I’m watering away when I notice an old yellow Mercedes – driven by an old black man slowly pulling down the drive. I didn’t know the man so I yelled at Jeff that someone was here. Sometimes people from his work will come by and bring him something to fix. He’s very clever with small engines. I just assumed Jeff knew the man. He didn’t.
By the time the yellow Mercedes had come to a stop, Jeff and I were both standing at the back edge of the house and the man had driven all the way down our drive – all the way to the backyard. We were curious.
Then, thick with old Charleston accent, the man started talking.
“I’m just doin’ me some drive-by healin’. Yeah, our preacher said lots of folks in this world need healin’. He sent us out. So, I’m just doin’ drive-by healin’.”
Drive-by healin’? I was floored. How many years had I been praying for healin’ of my eye? Didn’t I just go to my last hope doctor? Didn’t he just say I was the 1% and we could wait and hope for the best? Didn’t I place my hope in the LORD?
I was ready to burst out, “Pray for my eye!” But Jeff said, “That’s very nice of you. Thank you sir.” And with that, the old man mumbled again, “I’m doin’ drive-by healin’,” and began to back out the drive.
I watched him creep slowly down the street. I suppose he was praying for healin’, being led by the spirit to where healin’ was needed, but he didn’t pull into anyone else’s drive. Jeff and I watched him disappear around the corner – speechless. Then, he looked at me and said, “Drive-by healin’? I never heard of such a thing.”
“He was an answer to prayer,” I shouted. “He was sent by my Lord to give me a message! Honey, I got me some drive-by healin’! Praise the LORD!” I laughed and laughed with joy at the message my Lord had sent me.
Later, I went inside and knelt in thanksgiving before my Lord. I began to realize what an unexpected messenger He had sent. He knew I needed more than a word of encouragement from family or friend. I needed something other than a Bible verse. He knew I needed words of hope from an unexpected messenger. Its amazing how fast an unexpected messenger will get our attention, isn’t it.
I marveled at how my Lord weaves our lives into something beautiful. I marveled at His messenger – an old black man, sent out from church, choosing a very white neighborhood, driving down my drive to tell us he was doing drive-by healin’. I marveled at how God uses His people. The man never asked if I needed healing. He never asked to pray for me. That wasn’t what he was there for. He was a messenger –sent to give hope. And, this side of heaven, he’ll never know what he did for me that night because I never told him.
“but those who hop in the LORD will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles.
They will run and not grow weary.
They will walk and not be faint.” (Isaiah 40:31)
I don’t know what awaits me and my eye in the future. Maybe like Elijah my messenger was sent to give me bread and nourishment because the journey ahead of me is long and difficult. Or, maybe he was a messenger of good news like the 3 visitors sent to tell Abram and Sarah they would have a son. (If so, I’m glad I didn’t laugh in doubt like she did.)
Time will tell. But for now, I’m pleased to feel encouraged by my Lord. It’s just another way He shows me I am chosen and loved and strengthened by Him. Thank you, LORD!
Sunday, July 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.