“Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.”
I needed lots of wisdom to deal with this disease: how to care for her, how to deal with money, how to deal with her property, how to deal with the personalities in my family. I called on the Lord – a lot. I needed physical and emotional strength to persevere through this long disease. He answered my prayers, but my eyes were on how He was helping me with all of the complicated things. I never noticed what He was doing for Momma – until one spring day.
I picked Momma up for lunch at my river house. When we arrived, and she was seated in the rocker on the porch, she looked around and exclaimed, “Oh my, look at what God has done! Isn’t it beautiful! The trees . . . and the river! Just look! God is so good!” And Momma began to sing. She sang one hymn after another, praising the Lord with all her soul. Her voice was shaky and she often got the words wrong, but she sang sweet praises to her Lord.
I stood there crying. How simple. How sweet. It dawned on me that God was with her just as much as me. He helped her in simple ways her mind could understand: beautiful scenery, hymns, music, visitors, good food, and sweet caregivers. I know the Lord was helping her even at the end as she talked to the carpenter standing beside her bed – the carpenter I couldn’t see, but I’m sure was there.
Never did He leave us. Never did He forsake us. Our Lord was with each of us in the way we needed most. I learned that day that even when things seem complicated, His presence is simple. Simple and sweet. Momma was right. God is so good! Whatever way you need Him most today, He is simply there. It may be the smallest thing, but it is strategically placed right there just for you. Praise Him!

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.