Friday, December 21, 2018

Making Room for Christmas


Does your holiday schedule look like mine? Family gatherings, parades, parties, dinner guests, shopping, cooking, cleaning, and travel? My goodness! No wonder we are so stressed out this time of year! We complain. We stress. But next year we will pack our schedules just as tight. What is the answer to our frenzy?

When I was a young teenager, my schedule was not as tight. My parents were divorced. Mom lived hundreds of miles away. My brothers were grown, and my dad went on many dates. I was home alone – a lot. Sometimes that was okay, but other times, especially on holidays, I was sad to be by myself. That’s when I would pray to the Lord and dream of a day when my life would be full of family and friends. That quiet time alone gave me many moments to think about Jesus and the true meaning of Christmas. I often read the Bible and sang Christmas songs, especially when I felt alone. But I wasn’t alone. These were together times – me and my Lord – and I was building a relationship with Him that would last. I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

As my life filled up with friends and family, then a husband and children, I spent less time with Jesus at Christmas. One Christmas Eve, a friend invited my husband to an oyster roast. He took the kids leaving me at home to finish preparing the meal we would host later that evening. They were late returning. The house was quiet. I was alone. Suddenly I felt like I had all those years ago – forgotten, unwanted. I sat on the back steps and cried, “Lord. Well here we are again. Me and you alone at Christmas.” My heart was filled with sadness. But the Lord responded to my heart, “Yes. If you were not alone, you would not be here with me.”

Oh how true! His words stung my heart. I knew this moment was of His making so that He could be with me. How sweet. I was not forgotten or unwanted. We had a good laugh and a few precious moments together before my world was full of other people. I cherish that moment he made for me. It made me realize that in my attempt to grab all the holiday cheer possible, I often miss out on the one thing that Christmas is about: a savior come for me.

The Christmas story reflects this same idea. There was no room for Mary and Joseph in the bustling inn. They went to the quiet stable. There, away from the hoopla, came the baby in a manger. The shepherds were out in quiet fields where they could appreciate the host of angels and the message of a savior. The Wise Men followed a silent star. I think that sometimes our hearts, like busy Bethlehem, have no room for Jesus. His presence comes softly, like quiet snow, not in the bustle. Therefore, we must stop the frenzy and intentionally make quiet time to be with him. God promises, “you will find Him if you look for Him with all your heart and all your soul” (Deut. 4:29). He will meet you in the pause. Together you will enjoy what He has done. Your life may be busy and you might need to slow down in order to take a few moments to be with your savior. Or, you may be in one of those quiet places already where people have moved on and you feel alone. I’ve been in both and I know that either way the pause is for you. Savor it. It is there you will find your Savior and Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.