Thursday, January 24, 2019

Growing in Grace



I blew my “Whatever I do, I’ll do it all for the Lord” commitment on the first day. I was trying so hard to be the perfect person who does everything just right. Unrealistic expectations always leave me feeling like a loser. Deep down, I know that no one is perfect, everyone goofs up, but still . . . I was hoping to get it right this time.

As I prayed through my broken commitment that day, I confessed my feelings of hopelessness to the Lord: “I want so much to serve you well, yet I always goof up. Where is the hope in that, Lord?” He whispered to my aching heart: “You put your hope in what you do, not in what I’ve done. My grace is sufficient for you.”

“Grace. What is grace? I don’t even think I understand what that means – my grace is sufficient for you. Help me understand, Lord.”

So I poured over His word seeking answers. I walked away understanding this truth: My best at anything is only filthy rags before the Lord (Isaiah 64:6). It is my faith in Him that brings righteousness, not my actions (Ephesians 2:8-9). He desires that I grow in Him (2 Peter 3:18). Through this sanctification process, I will grow a little at a time, learning as I go, conquering obstacles, overcoming faults one-by-one (1 Thessalonians 5:23). It is arduous work; some lessons are harder than others. However, my Lord is faithful. As long as I walk with Him, I will grow to become more and more Christ-like (1 Thessalonians 5:24).

I knew that part of God’s grace is when He overlooks our mistakes because He knows we are not perfect. I began to understand that growing in grace happens when we allow God to use our mistakes to instruct us, correct our short-comings, and become more like Him. Here is the thing: we get His grace when we are saved through faith for “there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus” (Romans 8:1). By His mercy, we are all covered in grace. The question is, will we grow in that grace or just stand still? He wants us to grow. He tells us, “But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ” (2 Peter 3:18).

I will not grow through all of my perceived goodness, but through what I do wrong. That’s where instruction happens. My mistakes highlight my weaknesses; it gives the opportunity to change, to grow, to be a better witness for the Lord. The trouble is our enemy would like us to wallow in shame and guilt. It keeps us down. Steal, kill, destroy – that’s our enemy’s goal. This includes stealing my joy, killing my confidence in redemption, destroying my relationship with the LORD. Satan doesn’t want me to have any of these things.

I must remember – when I am weak, then I am strong – because the Lord is my strength (2 Corinthians 12:9-10). I must remember Isaiah 40:31: “But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.” The Lord does not want us to wallow in shame. He gives us strength and hope.

May my hope be ever in the Lord and never in myself!
May my weaknesses prompt growth in His grace, strength in His name!
For His grace is sufficient for me.

Dear LORD, Thank You for Your all-sufficient grace. Thank You for helping me work this out through Your Word that speaks into my life. Your love is overwhelming. Thank You! In Jesus’ name, Amen!

1 comment:

  1. This is excellent Jennifer - thank you so much for sharing what many of us are going thru.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.