Tuesday, April 21, 2020
Deuteronomy: Lessons to remember as you walk to the Promised Land - Chapter 23
CHAPTER 23:
I don’t know about you, but I have been extra careful with my cleanliness lately. Thoughts of coronavirus have me very conscious of what I touch and how I clean. I’m sanitizing the buggy handle at the grocery store, spraying germ killer on my gloved hands as I shop, and generally washing everything with increased vigor. I have never been more aware of cleanliness in my life. I can’t imagine living like the Israelites and being concerned with cleanliness and purity to such a high degree all the time. It would be exhausting. It would make me anxious and worried. I’m so glad for the cross, for freedom from the overwhelming expectations complete purity demands. Paul said, “It is for freedom that Christ set us free” (Galatians 5:1). Let us be thankful for this freedom as we read more of the expectations put forth for the Israelites. Chapter 23 continues with guidelines for purity in worship and citizenship, as well as warriors’ personal cleanliness, and a few thoughts about purity of heart.
Read Deuteronomy 23:1-2.
Who could not enter the assembly to worship?
The eunuch who allowed himself to be emasculated had crushed his God given image and was therefore impure and not allowed to worship. This picks up from the study of chapter 22 and the idea that we are created in God’s image. Our gender is part of that gift and God detests for it to be disrespected, for this shows a disregard for God Himself, a lack of fear, and a love for something other than God.
Read Deuteronomy 23: 3-9.
Why were the Ammonites and Moabites forbidden to worship with the assembly in God’s presence?
The account in Numbers tells how the Moabites would not sell food or water to the Israelites as they passed through the land. In fact, their king hired the prophet Balaam to place a curse on Israel. God would not allow Balaam to curse them; he was forced to bless Israel. In return, Balaam devised a plan to have the Moabite women seduce the Israelite men into worshipping their gods, causing God Himself to punish them. God had not forgotten the disrespect shown to His people.
One of the most notable Old Testament women was a Moabite, however. Ruth. She was even included in the lineage of Jesus. So why was she allowed to worship? It was a heart thing.
Read Isaiah 56:1-8.
Why were the eunuch and foreigner allowed to worship?
These verse speak of both the eunuch and the foreigner who have given their heart to the LORD and are obedient to His commands. The heart is what makes the difference. When you come before the LORD with a willing heart ready to worship, that is acceptable and good. While these verses foreshadow the coming Messianic kingdom, when Jesus will rule on earth, they reveal that the intention of the Law is the heart. If your heart is for the LORD, you are welcome to worship. Ruth’s heart was for Him. “Your people shall be my people, and your God, my God,” Ruth told Naomi (Ruth 1:16). Ruth’s heart desired to follow the LORD. A heart for God was the very thing these people forbidden to worship lacked.
Read Deuteronomy 23: 10-14.
How were they to keep their camp clean?
God also expected purity among the soldiers going off to battle. Remaining physically clean as well as keeping the land free from impurities was important. They were also to keep from seeing indecent things, which would influence their thoughts in impure ways. Remaining pure and focused on the LORD during times of war was essential to their success.
Read Deuteronomy 23:15-25.
Name 4 ways the Israelites were to remain pure of heart.
Helping the unfortunate. Idol worship. Money issues. Making vows to the LORD. How we handle all of these is a matter of the heart. One of these is an issue God dealt with me in a very clear way. So much so, that I haven’t forgotten, nor do I think I ever will. It concerned a vow I made to Him.
Years ago, I received my income tax refund and decided I would buy a new computer printer. I wanted the top of the line! Money in hand, I headed to the nearest office supply store ot make my purchase. I came home with a very nice printer. It had functions I would never use. Like a hungry person at an all-you-can-eat buffet, my eyes had been bigger than my stomach . . . or printing jobs, in this case. I didn’t need all of that stuff. So after looking at it sitting there in the box for a couple of days, I decided to take it back.
I made a vow to the LORD to return it for the next model down and give the money I got back from the exchange to a mission project He had placed on my heart. Back to the story I went, except I didn’t trade for the next model down. After looking at all the printers and all the functions they offered, I decided I really only needed what was offered in the lowest cheapest model. I traded for that one. I felt satisfied with my exchange.
Except when I got home, I remembered my vow to the LORD. I had about $400 in return money that I’d promised to give to Him. That was a lot of money for my young self. I had never given that much – ever! That’s too much to give, I began to think. I might need that money for something else. I know I had spent it on a printer, but . . . I decided to pray and explain the situation to the LORD. Let me just say . . . it was explained, and I wasn’t the one explaining.
Have you ever seen The Lord of the Rings? Do you know the character Smeagol, the hobbit who has been transformed by the ring into a cave-dwelling, greedy, sneaky, hyper-ring-focused thing who crawls around naked saying, “My Precious” with evil, hungry eyes? Him. Do you know him?
As soon as I started to explain my return situation to the LORD, that is who popped into my mind. Smeagol. I was like Smeagol. Greedy. Hungry to keep my precious money. Trying to manipulate my way in front of the LORD.
“Is that me, LORD?” I cried. “Is that who I am?” I cried and cried. I didn’t want to be Smeagol. I cried for some time sprawled on the floor, apologizing for who I was at heart. I had a Smeagol heart, not a pure heart. How could I go on? Finally, I asked Him, “How can I even get up from here knowing that’s who I am?” And very gently, my Savior reminded me, “Because you are redeemed.” Sweet redemption, given in grace, full of mercy – that’s how we go on.
Make no mistake – there is no cave deep enough for the Smeagol inside of me to hide from my Lord. He is El Roi – the God who sees me. And make no mistake – any vow I’ve made to Him will be required of me. I learned two things that day that I will never forget. First, God takes our words seriously, even the ones we flippantly spout off without thought, and especially if those words involve a promise to Him. So be careful what you say.
Second, and most importantly, I learned what redemption really means. It isn’t just a word on the page for me any longer. God looks at our covetous, self-seeking, evil hearts, and through Christ, he forgives us. And it isn’t a begrudging forgiveness. He isn’t mad about it, like a person would be. And, it isn’t full of conditions or expectations or things I have to do. No. El Roi sees exactly who I am and He forgives me anyway. No conditions attached. It is mercy so sweet and so full of love that all I can ever do to show my thanks is bow to Him in humility and gratefulness, and then attempt to obey Him the rest of my life.
Has the Lord ever pointed out a flaw in your character, an impurity in your heart? If so, how did it make you feel?
What did you do in return?
Did it leave you feeling guilty and ashamed, or did you come to a different understanding? Explain.
Romans 8:1 says, “Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.” I hope you know redemption through our only Savior, Jesus. The world will condemn you. Your enemy, Satan, will whisper condemnations in your ear. Your own conscience may even put you down. Jesus will not. He will most certainly point out where you are at fault, where you need to fix some things, but it is only to help you overcome, and he will be with you every step of the way.. He will not leave you wallowing in a cave of despair. He will remind you that you are His, that He has already paid your ransom, and that He loves you. Don’t listen to the voices that condemn. They are liars trying to keep you from overcoming. Listen to Christ. Listen to Him say, “Do not fear, for I have redeemed you. I have called you by name; you are Mine!” (Isaiah 43:1)
Praise the LORD! We are His! Let us offer thanks and obedience for His great love!
Lesson to Remember: Christ is our redemption
A Way to Walk: Our obedience to the Lord is a thanks offering for His great love. How you obey reveals how you feel about Him. Walk in a way that is honoring and glorifying to the Lord your God. We obey not out of obligation, but out of love and thanksgiving.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.