Thursday, May 21, 2020
Songs of Hope in the Dark
It had been a sleepless night. Thoughts of coronavirus, food shortages, eLearning, and people I know who are now sick rolled through my mind. Just a few short weeks ago the virus was far away, but now it was on my doorstep robbing me of sleep and peace. As I laid in bed trying to sleep, I could hear the birds outside my window. They were beginning their morning chatter. Still exhausted, I rose anyway. I didn’t want to miss the morning concert. I threw on my robe, grabbed my cup of coffee, opened the window in my living room to make for better listening, and I plopped on the couch in the dark.
Did you know that the birds begin singing each morning before the sun rises? One bird, perched all alone, will sing out a few notes. Another bird of the same species, perched all alone, will answer. Then a new bird will call out from somewhere. A bird of that species will answer in the distance. On and on it goes until they are all awake and all singing. The sky is still dark. The sun has not even peaked the horizon, but the birds are in full chorus. The sky is liquid with silvery sounds. Beautiful!
I’ve enjoyed this phenomenon for years. I get up early to go sit and listen. I always imagine the birds are singing to the LORD, heralding the morn, praising Him for a new day and for His faithfulness. “Let all creation sing,” rings through my mind as I enjoy the symphony.
But as I sat on the couch this particular Sunday morning, I was struck by the symbolism offered in this daily occurrence. The birds sing while it is still dark. They sing knowing the morning will come. They don’t start singing after the sun has already risen. No, they sing before. They sing praising the Lord for what He will do. They sing in hope.
I couldn’t help but think about my church family, about Restoration’s first online service, about all the sweet words of encouragement, all the prayers being offered, all the ways that His people are singing right now. . . singing while it is still dark. Friends, these are dark times, but our Lord is faithful. He will prevail. The dark cannot stop the Light from getting through. Our singing, our praying, our sharing His good Word and the hope of the gospel is a symphony of praise to the Lord and to the world around us. I cannot help but think about Colossians 3:16: “Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you, with all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another with psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God.”
Easter is on the way – a time of renewal, a promise of what is to come. The hope of Christ is particularly comforting when the world is crazy. So while we have the quiet time at home, let’s turn off our devices. Let’s open up His word and sit by His side and hear what He has to say. Things may seem dark, but we have Christ, the Light of the world! Let his word richly dwell in you. Fill your mind and your heart with Him. Then, sing on Church! Sing to wake the world to the good news that Christ is the way, the truth, and the life and no one comes to the Father except through him. Our God is faithful. A new day will come! Let all creation sing!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


That is an AMAZING devotion Jennifer! Your writing is incredible! Blessed me to read it tonight, even though it might have been meant for Easter. I just wrote a very sad letter to my eldest daughter and thankfully didn’t send it. Your devotion held me back and encouraged me that even though I am still living in a dark season, joy comes in the morning. I am going to sing to Him, like your birds. THANK YOU sweet friend❤️
ReplyDeleteThat is an AMAZING devotion Jennifer! Your writing is incredible! Blessed me to read it tonight, even though it might have been meant for Easter. I just wrote a very sad letter to my eldest daughter and thankfully didn’t send it. Your devotion held me back and encouraged me that even though I am still living in a dark season, joy comes in the morning. I am going to sing to Him, like your birds. THANK YOU sweet friend❤️
ReplyDelete