Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Journaling Through John in July: John Chapter 4

Are You Thirsty?

Read: John chapter 4 and Isaiah 55:1-3

I have to admit: I don’t always feel like I belong. I’ve had a lot of people hurts over the years, which causes me not to open up to folks. I’m not usually the one reaching out to make friends. Being reserved is my attempt at self-protection. So the account of the woman at the well speaks to me. She’s had some hurts in her day too. Coming to the well alone is easier than dealing with the people. I get that in so many ways.

But there Jesus sat . . . waiting for her. He knew her hurts. He knew she avoided people. He didn’t avoid her. He came to that place for her.

Jesus doesn’t waste any time talking to her and immediately asks for a drink. Her response rings with sarcasm. She is accustomed to defending herself. But this doesn’t stop Jesus. He offers her “living water” and a “well of water springing up to eternal life” (v. 14). Their conversation moves to worshipping God and she tells him that when the Messiah comes, he will tell them all things. Surprisingly, Jesus confesses to her that He is the Messiah, the long awaited warrior king who would free the Jewish nation from oppression. So, the thirsty-souled woman and the well is the first to know in John’s gospel that Jesus is the long awaited Messiah. Imagine that!

I guess the disciples come up and spoil the moment she is having with Jesus, but he has already given her the water she needed, a sip from His well to quench her thirsty soul. She runs to town to share with everyone. I love the reversals Jesus brings in our lives. The one who was trying to avoid people is now running toward them, and her testimony bring them to Jesus.

Just one conversation with Jesus and she threw aside all her apprehension and reserve. All of the years of hurt and ridicule thrown at her by the townspeople didn’t stop her from running to them with the good news of the Messiah. None of that mattered in the light of Jesus. I can’t help but ask myself: Do I put aside past hurts to tell others about Jesus? My answer should be yes. If I’m truthful, I know I need to keep sipping from the well.

Isaiah 55 says, “Come, all you who are thirsty . . . Why do you spend money for what is not bread, and your wages for what does not satisfy?” We spend a lot of time doing things that don’t fill us up. We are all soul-thirsty, but the things of this world will never satisfy. Not material things or accomplishments of even people are able to satisfy our thirsty souls. No. It is Jesus alone. He is the living water. We all need our time alone with Jesus at the well. He is waiting for you. Won’t you join Him there?

Questions/Responses:

How are you like the woman at the well? How are you different from her?

What can you learn from her reaction to Jesus and His message?

In what ways are you soul-thirsty? Do you take those thirsty places to Jesus on a regular basis? Why or why not?

Take some time to pray about these things, remembering to thank Jesus for being our living water.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.