I was talking with an old friend the other day about the calling she feels God has placed on her life and how she is scared to move forward. I know that feeling. I even expressed to her the reason I had to go forward with the thing God was calling me to do. Several years ago, when I first began my adult “walk with God”, I was attending a WMu meeting. There was an invitation for people to pray and I knew deep down in my heart that God was asking me to do the praying that evening. Oh, how I didn’t want to do that. I had never prayed in front of others. My heart was racing. My palms were sweating. I had the words on my tongue but I let the moment pass by and someone else prayed. I knew I had blown it. That was my moment. God had given it to me and I didn’t take it.
Later, I felt like God had backed away from me. It took days in prayer to feel like He was by my side again. I didn’t like that, so the next time He gave me that opportunity, I took it. I prayed out loud in front of others. It really wasn’t that bad and soon I was comfortable praying in public. God had opened me up to something I probably would have never done on my own.
After I talked with my friend, I began to re-think this event. You know, I might have felt like God backed away from me when I didn’t do what He asked, but I was really the one who backed away. Consider the idea of “walking with God” . . . you are walking along, learning, talking, all that good stuff. You are happy to be near God, when – BAM – suddenly, you are in a place you haven’t been before and didn’t see coming. A bridge you’ve never crossed. You’re scared, unconfident and like a spooked horse, you begin to back up. “Whoa! I’m not sure I want to go over that bridge. I’ve never done that before.” And all the “what-ifs” start playing in your mind.
What if I fail?
What if people think I’m strange?
What if I make a fool of myself?
What if this isn’t right?
What if . . . . on and on . . . .
God is still standing at that bridge. He is coaxing you to cross. “It’s okay. I’m right here. I’ve got you. Don’t be afraid.” But, your heart is pounding, your palms are sweating, you’re shaking and the moment is quickly passing by. If you don’t take the opportunity to cross this bridge, it might be a while before you get back there again.
Never fear, though, God is always by your side, but sometimes it takes a while to recover from a bridge moment. More than likely, you’ll get another chance to cross that bridge. When you do, you’ll realize it wasn’t that bad in the first place. Secondly, the peace and satisfaction that comes from knowing you walked over, with God, is grand. It is worth the trip. And then, you are in a new place, freer than you were before because, with the help of God, you have conquered your fear.
As a Christian, I think the first bridge we come to is the bridge of salvation. Can you remember that feeling when you realized Christ was calling you? Nervous. Shaking. Unsure. Can’t ignore it. Heart pounding. Emotions flooding. There he was – calling you. You wanted to go . . . but should you?
And, oh! The sense of peace and joy and satisfaction that spills over you when you step across that bridge – it’s priceless! Redeemed. Ransomed. Bought with a price. Free. A child of God. The reward for crossing the first bridge is eternal life. Wow! Now, that was worth the trip, wasn’t it?
But, remember that feeling when you stood at the bridge and knew Christ was calling you forward because you’ll feel it again some day. Maybe he’ll ask you to pray out loud, like He did to me. You’ll feel the call, the heart beat, the sweaty palms, time is ticking. Will you go? Or, maybe your bridge is an invitation to sing, or speak or teach a lesson. Maybe you’ve been asked to hand out tracks. Perhaps you have a friend that you feel you need to witness to. Should you?
If you are walking with God, bridge encounters are inevitable. They are going to happen because you can’t walk forward with God without having to do something new and different. He will take you outside your comfort zone. Never fear! He is with you every step of the way. Lean on Him. He’ll get you across. And, before long, you’ll be crossing a bridge without a second thought.
If you aren’t having bridge encounters, then perhaps you’ve stalled out. Perhaps you aren’t walking with God in the way you should. Maybe you’ve gotten comfortable somewhere and decided to sit down. Get up! You’re not going to get where God wants to take you just sitting there. Grab hold of His hand and know that you can do all things through Christ.
When you feel that nervous feeling and your heart begins to race . . . when you know a bridge is up ahead . . . don’t turn and run! Hold on to Jesus and go across. You’ll be glad you did!
Read: (I’ve been praying for what to put here. Don’t have it yet! Any ideas?)
Daily Prayer: LORD, I know you have bridges for me to cross. I know I will need some help. Please give me the strength to cross over. Fill me full of your Holy Spirit and lead me across. I want to go places with you. Let me not be comfortable sitting still. Keep me moving forward always following your lead. Thank you! In Jesus’ name . . . .
Wednesday, March 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.