Sunday, March 1, 2009

Scripture Memory Verse #5

So, I picked out my memory verse to post on Beth Moore's blog and I thought I would be the only person with this verse. It isn't a well-known verse and maybe some folks have never even run across it, so I didn't expect to see it posted. I had decided on Psalm 81:10 &16 for very personal reasons. But, there it was! Except, someone else had posted the whole thing - 81:6-16.

Oh, I was taking the lazy way out thinking I would just do the two. But, now I'm thinking I really do need to memorize more. The thought actually crossed my mind earlier but I was just thinking easy. (And, to be honest, I've already memorized 10 &16. ) So, I will try to memorize 7-16, I think.

I chose this verse because it was an answer to a prayer I had several years ago. I believe I was doing Beth's Believing God study at the time. I remember one Friday afternoon, doing my Bible study at the kitchen table, I became overwhelmed with the urge to pray for God to put His words in my mouth. I prayed it over and over. It was a fervent prayer and I felt so passionate about what I was asking Him to do. At the time, I didn't know why I was asking for that. It was the first time that prayer came into my conscience or crossed my lips. And, when I say I asked over and over, I mean I was pretty much begging. A very strange experience.

The next day, I was randomly writing scripture on cards as I sat at the table and talked with my husband and his brother. I didn't really pay much attention to what I was writing but just wrote some things down that looked good to me at the time.

Monday morning, during my quiet time, I pulled out the cards I had written and began to read over them. When I read the card with Psalm 81:10 - "I am the LORD your God, who brought you up out of Egypt. Open wide your mouth and I will fill it!" - I was floored. How could I have not noticed what it said when I wrote it Saturday morning? It was a direct answer to my fervent Friday prayer.

I was completely amazed that God would speak to me in this way. First of all, it was obviously meant as a personal answer to my begging.
"Put your words in my mouth!"
"Open wide your mouth and I will fill it."
Wow! I'm still shocked that God would speak to me in this way. Who am I that the God of all the universe would speak directly to me? No booming voice. Just words on a page - just for me. Amazing!

At the time, I had no idea what God was doing. He is like that. He doesn't show you the whole thing all at once. Walking with God is like scenery on the road - you can only see so far ahead. Now, I know that He has given me words. I have spoken at several church events and I'm now in the process of writing a devotional book that will be used as a fundraiser for my church's youth mission trip this summer.

I didn't know it then, but God was letting me know that He was going to give me words to say. He promised to feed me with the "finest of wheat; with honey from the rock [He] will satisfy [me]' (v. 16)

Oh, Jesus, my rock, is satisfying and he is sweet.

Thank you LORD, for your amazing words. Thank you for filling my mouth with your words. Thank you for satisfying me with your good things. Your mercies are great! I do not deserve your attentions, but you give them anyway. Hesed love: covenant, faithful, bound, loyal. Your love endures forever! Praise the LORD!

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm so excited that we have the same verse! As you read on my post, this verse is incredibly significant to me, too. It was interesting, though, how it has somewhat of a different personal meaning to both of us. Isn't God so awesome like that?
    May He just fill you to the fullest...and satisfy your heart as you meditate on these words.
    p.s. I definitely think you should go for more of the verse :) especially since you've already memorized it!! Actually, the reason I decided to memorize the whole thing was because I see myself SO much in those Israelites who refused to listen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carolina Light!
    So how is the memory verse coming? We only have two more days....and actually, it's Friday evening now - so we actually have a little more than 24 hours! I broke it into two parts - and I have the first part all set, but haven't started on the second.
    I guess I know what I'll be doing tomorrow!
    I'll be praying for you...!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.