Wow! Has it really been that long since I've posted anything on this lonely blog?
That just goes to show how utterly busy I have been. But, spring break is on the way - just 9 school days away!
I may have neglected my blog, but I haven't neglected my journal. I just haven't had the time to share some of my thoughts.
But, it is a rainy Sunday afternoon and I've been itching to type. So here goes . . .
My March 1st memory verse was 2 Corinthians 1:20.
"For no matter how many promises God has made, they are "Yes" in Christ. And so through him the "Amen" is spoken by us to the glory of God."
Choosing a verse to memorize is such a blessing because it gives you time to concentrate on that one thought. I chose this verse because of the idea of promises but the word that ended up catching my attention was the word "Amen".
A common word - one we use often - and one that the LORD and I have had some conversation about over the years. I started thinking about this word. What does it mean? I've always seen it as a closing and a word of agreement. I decided to look it up in my Vines dictionary.
The Vines gave me some other verses where the word "Amen" had been used in the original text but not necessarily translated as "Amen". Here are some things I found:
1."Amen" suggests God's faithfulness.
Deut. 7:9 and Isaiah 49:7 both use the word in this way.
2."Amen" suggests God's truth.
Isaiah 65:16 uses "God of truth" in place of "Amen" and helps us to understand it is a guarantee, a promise.
3. "Amen" is used as a title of Christ in Revelation.
Rev. 3:14 "...These are the words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the ruler of God's creation."
4. "Amen" is used in the New Testament as a word of agreement, such as in 1 Corinthians 14:16.
5. "Amen" is used by Jesus but it is translated "verily" or "I tell you the truth"; so, again, we see the word suggests truth.
Imagine that . . . "Amen" means so much more than just a closing. It is faithful, true, trustworthy, a promise fulfilled.
I started thinking about Jesus on the cross and his final words. Picture this . . . a lonely hilltop, far away. The son of man, beaten and bloody hanging from the cross, head down, exhausted and in pain. He raises his head and breathes the words, "It is finished."
Jesus' work on the cross is our "Amen". He sealed up God's promises with his sacrificial blood. It is done! Our sins are forgiven. Our freedom is bought.
"So no matter how many promises God has made, they are "Yes" in Christ. So that through him the "Amen" is spoken by us to the glory of God."
Thank you LORD for revealing yourself to us, for giving us new ideas about old words. Your word truly is alive and active and I am so excited about that.
Thank you, LORD!
AMEN!
Sunday, March 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.