Monday, December 14, 2009

The LORD's Army

Here it is – the holiday season and I have been struck with grouchiness! Just about everything has gotten on my nerves lately. I’ve been feeling lonely, taken advantage of, emotionally abused, without companionship . . . My list could go on.

I really want to be in the holiday spirit and be excited but all these other things are getting in my way. I’m sure that is exactly how Satan would want it. The Bible tells us that our battles are not earthly but spiritual and I’m assuming that is especially the case with this kind of thing. It is definitely Satan. He just doesn’t want me to enjoy the holiday season.

Saturday Jeff and I were watching Crocodile Dundee on TV. It’s been a while since I’d seen it. Mick is a pretty slick character. Once he got those bad guys back on his own turf, they were done for. His battle tactic was to create a diversion and while everyone was in a panic, he would carry someone off. He called in some bats one time, fired some shots in a different direction another time and even had a fake crocodile emerge through the murky water to “eat” someone.

Simple and effective. Create a diversion, then, go in for the attack. I’m sure that battle tactic has been used many times throughout history. So, I ask you, why wouldn’t Satan do the same? Create a diversion . . . go in for the attack. Or, create a diversion to keep us off task. Really, he doesn’t even need to attack; he just needs to re-direct our focus and keep us from doing God’s will or enjoying the peace and joy we’ve been given. Just a little diversion and . . . well, he’s successful.

That’s what he’s been doing to me. I’m particularly diverted when my emotions are involved. Satan knows that. He’s used that one in the past and it works. If he can get my emotions flared up, I’m down for the count. Here are some thoughts that always get my attention:

“Woe is me. No one likes me.”
“I’m a loser. I can’t do anything right.”
“I’m all alone.”
“I can’t stand it when he or she does . . . (whatever)”
“I have to do all this work by myself while everyone just watches.”
“No one cares for me.”

My list could go on but those are some typical lures Satan uses to divert my attention. I think I’ve felt all those things and more in the past week.

But, those thoughts aren’t the truth. They are a smoke screen – a lie. If I let them play out in my mind, they will overtake me. Satan won’t have to do a thing. I’ll consume myself with thoughts of myself and how awful my plight in life. That will be the end of me for a while. Isn’t he clever?

David, our youth minister, has a saying that rings in my ears today.
“It’s not about you. Get over yourself.”
He tells the youth this all the time when we’re on a mission trip. He says, “It’s gonna get hot. You’re gonna get tired and frustrated. It’s not gonna be easy. But you are here for the kids. You are here to do God’s work. This isn’t about you.”

What he’s telling them is don’t be diverted by yourself. Don’t lose focus. Keep your eyes on the goal and do not allow little things that don’t matter in the end to keep you from serving God. He’s so right!

I’ve fallen for the diversion yet again!

I’ve been consumed with myself and things that don’t matter because they aren’t the truth. I’ve taken my eyes off serving the LORD. I’ve even allowed my joy to be dragged off during the diversion.

We’ve all got our weaknesses when it comes to diversions. What captures my attention might not even make you blink and vice versa. Be assured, Satan knows what works for each of us. He has studied us closely. Some things really are a battle and they require a spiritual fight – prayer and fasting and wielding our sword constantly. But, some things are just a diversion – a smoke screen, something to keep us occupied and not on target with the LORD. Some diversions just steal our joy.

May we be a people that know the difference between real battle and planned diversions. May we be strong enough to not even flinch at those distractions. May our eyes be so focused on the LORD that we never fall for the lure to be taken off track. Then, we will be able to do more for our LORD and savior.

Can you see us – decked out in our armor? Polished shield of faith. Sparkling breastplate of righteousness. Helmet of salvation fitted tightly. Belt of truth fastened around. Our shoes ready to move. The light of our LORD radiating from our drawn swords. We stand together . . . strong, holy, ready to fight, already victorious. Don’t you know the sight of us makes demons flee because we are His. We are the LORD’s army! Praise You, LORD!

Lord, help me . . . help us to be the soldiers you’ve called us to be - ready and able, equipped with Your word and Your righteousness. Let us stand unflinching before You. Let us not be distracted. Let us keep our eyes on You. Let us forever serve You, going out in the world to do the good works which You’ve prepared for us to do. We want to be strong soldiers in Your army. Help us, LORD! In Jesus’ mighty name . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.