Wednesday, March 27, 2019
Gather As Much As You Need
I love bread! I grew up in a bread family. Mom always had some kind of tasty rolls or biscuits, homemade yeast bread, sourdough pancakes, or the ever-loved cinnamon rolls – that I watched rise in a covered bowl as I longed for their sweet goodness. No wonder bread is my weakness. No wonder I began to notice bread in the Bible.
For some reason, I’ve always thought of manna as bread. I’m not sure why. Manna literally means, “What is it?” It was that strange substance provided by God to sustain the Israelites in the desert. I suspect it was perfectly nutritious – God’s little nutrition bar. That would be just the kind of thing God would do. Every morning it was there. They never had to worry. They could boil it. They could bake it. But, they couldn’t keep it. When kept till the next day, it grew maggots and began to stink. Except on the Sabbath! Can you imagine? It didn’t go bad on the Sabbath! God is amazing!
God provided for the Israelites. He told them through Moses, “Each one is to gather as much as he needs” (Exodus 16:16). God provided exactly what they needed for that day. They couldn’t store it up and stockpile it – just in case God took a day off in the middle of the week. They were forced to rely on Him every day.
This idea so speaks to me. It’s like my finances – the money isn’t always there ahead of time, but somehow the Lord provides. It’s like the time my husband lost his job – the Lord provided work until something just right arrived. It’s like the strength I need daily to deal with aging parents, growing kids, and the steady demands of the to-do list – the Lord gives me what I need each day.
The Israelites ate manna for 40 years until they entered the Promised Land, a land flowing with milk and honey. Each day God provided for them until they arrived in the place of plenty. I know He will do the same for me. No matter how barren things might look around me, my God’s hand is upon me. I am reminded that “On the mountain of the LORD it will be provided” (Genesis 22:14). I will take Him at His word, for God is faithful. I hope you will do the same. Together, let’s give God praise for the things He has provided. Let’s shout our thanksgivings. Let’s enjoy His manna every day of our lives!
Thank You, LORD, for faithfully providing the things I need. Help me to be obedient with what you’ve given me. Help me to always remember the manna you give to me – gifts to sustain me in the desert and never take them for granted. I praise You and thank You! In Jesus’ name, Amen.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.