Wednesday, September 11, 2019

5 Tips for Memorizing Scripture

Do you want to love God more and love His people? Do you want the strength and wisdom to overcome the obstacles in front of you? Then fill your mind with the Bible!

Memorizing scripture is one way to fill your mind with the Bible . . . but it isn’t always easy. Memorizing anything can prove difficult. I do not claim to have a great memory. In fact, compared to others I know, my memory is rather short on gigabytes. I still find great pleasure in memorizing God’s word though. So, if you’re like me and find yourself wanting to memorize the Truth of God and carry His word with you, then here are a few tips.

#1 – Chunk it! Take one little bit at a time to work with. When you have this part, add the next little part, repeating the two parts together. Add little chunks until you have the whole thing.

#2 – Color code! If you’re a visual learner, like me, this will help you. Put a red heart on the word “heart.” Or, color a green circle over the word “live.” Do something to bring a visual reminder of the key words in your verse. You’ll often remember the color or shape you’ve marked over the words before you remember the word, and it will remind you.

#3 – Hand motions! This sounds silly and may even feel sillier, but making hand motions to go with the words in your verse is a great technique. This is how you get little children to learn long verses. If they can do it, you can too!

#4 – Use your movie mind! Consider who the verse applies to and with your movie mind, visualize the speaker talking to them. For example, when I memorized Deuteronomy 4:39, I pictured Moses standing with arms stretched out addressing the whole Israelite camp. I knew this was his going away speech and in my movie mind I could hear his voice full of wisdom and hope. I would practice my verse with this scene in mind. And sometimes I would even try to say it in a Moses-like voice, but shhhhhhhh….. don’t tell anyone. That’ll be our secret.

#5 – Repeat! Repeat! Repeat! It is repetition that actually moves something to your long term memory. Practice every day. This includes going back over verses you’ve already mastered. The more you repeat them, the deeper they are planted in your mind . . . and in your heart, which is right where we want them to be.

So there you have it – 5 tips for memorizing scripture. Use one. Use all. May we always be planting His word in our minds and in our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.