For the book:
For about 10 years I’ve had an eye condition called CSR (Central Serous Retinopathy). It is essentially a blister on my retina which causes distorted vision. I sometimes see things as very shadowy or blurry or wavy or folded. It really is an odd thing.
On a recent trip to Myrtle Beach, my mother, Jeffrey and I were returning at night down a dark Highway 17. I was driving and probably should have told my mom how much trouble the oncoming lights were giving my blistery vision.
As I maneuvered around a corner, two cars – rather far apart – were in the oncoming lane. They were doing nothing wrong but my vision was “folded” (that is the best way to describe it) and instead of 2 cars in the other lane, I saw one car in my lane headed straight for me.
I slammed on the brakes, hit the horn and waited for impact. . .
Suddenly the two lights split apart and moved into the other lane and I realized my mistake. I had not seen them correctly. They were not one car, but two. They were not in my lane but across the median in the other lane. I had only two things right – they were lights and they were oncoming. I had not seen the whole truth.
Needless to say, my mother was very shook up. I’m sure her blood pressure hit the roof and she insisted on me pulling over to let her drive. She also begged me to see the eye doctor. I did and my blister is gone – for now. I started thinking though, isn’t my blistery vision a lot like just being human?
My human eyes just see what is in front of me. And, the world has trained me to look for beauty. Somehow, the world has connected beauty with goodness. We judge things on their outward appearances – and make pretty quick judgments too!
But God does not judge on the outward appearance, He judges what is inside. Listen to what God says in 1 Samuel 16:7:
“Do not consider his appearance or his height for I have rejected him.
The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.”
El Roi, the God who sees, looks at the heart. He cuts through all the outer layers of beauty or ugliness, kindness or coldness, wealth or poverty, education or simpleness to look at the heart.
What is the heart? I guess it is our core. What we truly feel. What motivates us. It is the truth. God looks at the truth of someone.
How many times have I looked at someone with disdain or with superiority or with hate when I should have been looking at the truth?
How many times have I been fooled by someone’s beautiful appearance, flashy clothes or smooth words when I should have been looking at the truth?
Jesus says, “I am the way, the truth and the life . . . “ (John 14:6). We should look to him for truth. Truth about ourselves. Truth about others. Truth about situations. HE IS THE TRUTH!
I don’t know about your, but if God sees my heart, I surely want it to be looking good for Him. So, I pray according to Psalms 51:10:
“LORD, purify my heart so that I might be blameless before you.”
And if God sees other people with a compassion and understanding I lack, I’d like a glimpse from His view so that I might treat others according to His view. Who knows, under that cold, crabby person, I might see a needy soul when I see with God’s compassionate eyes. So, I pray:
“LORD, give me Jesus eyes so that I might understand the world around me better and be able to do Your work.”
I know that our enemy, Satan, prowls around us (1 Peter 5:8). He is a master of deceit and is full of lies. (John 8:44) The last thing he wants us to know is the truth. So we must be aware of his schemes. We must consult our Lord Jesus Christ about people and situations. We must put on our Jesus eyes and be ready for the truth. God’s truth.
Read: 1 Peter 5:8
John 8:44
Daily Prayer:
Dear LORD, I thank you that you see things differently than me. I ask that you would forgive me for my condemning attitude. Forgive me for my lack of compassion for others. I pray that you would teach me to see with Jesus eyes, to see people in need. I ask that you give me the strength to be more like you. In Jesus’ name . . . .
Saturday, January 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I'm trying to get caught up on reading all the blogs on my list....perfect to do on a day off, right!
ReplyDeleteAnd I really enjoyed this post. It is one to give you much thought....
Thank you!
~Beth
what TRUTH!! I am actually printing out this post so I can cut and paste some truth around my desktop at work! thank you for this, my friend!
ReplyDeleteAmy