Have you ever been in a place in your life that felt like uncharted waters? Your world is rocking. There is turbulence all around. You can’t get your bearings because you are being tossed to and fro like someone in a boat on troubled seas. That’s where I’ve been lately. Every morning I wake to feel the storm still raging.
I started thinking about this boat and storm idea yesterday and thought about the story in Mark where Jesus calms the storm. So, I decided to read it and see what the LORD had to tell me. I wanted to know how my story is similar, even thought it is a storm of emotions.
The first thing I noticed was that Jesus was the one who suggested they take the boat across to the other side.
“That day when evening came, he said to his disciples, ‘Let us go over to the other side.” (Mark 4:35)
The disciples did not plan to go over there and probably wouldn’t have gone if Jesus had not suggested it. It was their Lord’s idea to go. Now, Jesus knows all things. He knew there would be a storm, so he must have pointed them in this direction for a reason. The storm was part of his plan.
This is very much like my story. I did not plan for these recent events to happen in my life. They are not of my making. I’ve just been sailing along. Maybe I saw some storm clouds on the horizon. Perhaps I heard some thunder in the distance. I did not expect to be overcome by this squall, however. But Jesus did.
“A furious squall came up, and the waves broke over the boat so that it was nearly swamped.” (Mark 4:37)
I have felt exactly this way – in a furious storm, being battered from side-to-side by my emotions. Full of compassion one moment. Full of anger the next. Waves of emotions have crashed over me so that I’ve been nearly swamped by them – unable to concentrate on anything else and unable to right my boat. Keeled over – first one way, then the other – that’s what I have been.
Have you ever felt this way? I hope you had Jesus on your boat!
“Jesus was in the stern, sleeping on a cushion. The disciples woke him and said to him, ‘Teacher, don’t you care if we drown? He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, ‘Quiet! Be still!’ Then the wind died down and it was completely calm.” (Mark 4:38-39)
Like the disciples, I have Jesus on board, thankfully. I have cried the same thing to him, “Lord, look at what is happening! I can’t fix this! Do something!”
He has said the same thing back to me, “Be still! Be still! Be still!”
“Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him . . .” (Psalm 37:7)
“Be still and know that I am God.” (Psalm 46:10)
“Quiet! Be still!” (Mark 4:39)
I even heard him whispering this to me in a children’s movie at the theater last Friday. In the movie Where the Wild Things Are, the boy, Max, was very emotional. He was allowing his emotions to take control over him. They dictated his actions. His anger was about to eat him up. He had to say, very firmly, “Be still!” to the Wild Things. Reminded me of myself.
“Quiet! Be still!” The Lord told the storm and it was completely calm.
“He said to his disciples, ‘Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?” (v. 40)
I have come to realize that my situation is not really my problem. It is someone else’s problem and I can’t fix it. The Lord will work that out. He has promised me He will. My problem is my emotions about the situation. That is where the storm is raging.
“Quiet! Be still! . . . Do you still have no faith?”
The Lord has assured me over and over that this will turn out for my good and His glory. I must have faith in that. Allowing my emotions to storm, tossing me from side-to-side shows I do not trust what he has promised. It suggests I “still have no faith.”
We are going to the other shore. Jesus has pointed us in that direction. He has set me on this course. It was part of his plan. He knew it wouldn’t be easy. He knew the storm would come. But he is with me and has assured me we will get there safely. So, the question is, will I listen and obey and be still?
To the disciples Jesus revealed part of who he is, “Even the wind and the waves obey him!” (v. 41b) He wants to reveal something to me as well. Will I “Be still” and listen?
Will I allow my faith in Jesus Christ to quiet my emotional storm?
Will I step up boldly each time the winds begin to blow and say, “Be still!”
Will I allow him to reveal himself to me?
What would I know about my Lord and Savior if I would stop and allow him to be in control?
I’ve decided I would rather get to the other shore in awe of my Lord instead of emotionally worn out.
I don’t know if this word speaks to you. I hope it does. We all have our moments in the middle of the storm. Let us “Be still,” and allow Jesus, the Prince of Peace, to calm the waves.
Thank you, Jesus.
Keep us pointed in your direction and on even keel.
In Jesus’ name . . .
Saturday, October 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.