Here is a possibility for the devotional book I'm writing as a fundraiser for our summer mission trip. Let me know what you think.
___________
While reading in Ephesians chapter 5 one day, I ran across these words in verse 10: “and find out what pleases the Lord.”
“LORD, what pleases you?” I wrote at the top of my journal page, for I want to do whatever would please my LORD and savior.
I found the answer in Romans chapter 4. Verse 3 says: “What does the scripture say? ‘Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness.” (quoting Genesis 15:6 here.) It was Abraham’s faith in God, not his upholding of the law that pleased God and prompted God to bless Abraham. Paul uses the rest of chapter 4 to explain that it is the same with us. It is our faith in Jesus Christ that pleases God.
Faith is credited to us as righteousness and righteousness pleases the LORD. Romans 4:22 says, “This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe.”
Now, I don’t know about you, but if faith is what it takes to please God, I want it and lots of it. But, I think that believing in and believing are two different things. Did you notice that in verse 3 Paul said, “Abraham believed God”, not believed in God? Believing in is knowing something exists. (Do you believe in God?) Believing is trusting, having faith in. (Do you put your trust in God and have faith in everything He tells you?)
Think about that? Do you?
Have you read enough in His word to know what He says?
Do you believe God when it comes to your own life?
When God says, “Thou shalt not steal” or “Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy,” do you believe Him? Do you believe he desires to have a relationship with you? Do you believe he sent His only son to pay for your sins?
If you do, then you’ll do what He commands. You’ll take Him for His word. You’ll know His promises are the truth.
Do we believe God? If we do, we’re going to take this thing seriously – very seriously because we don’t want to be playing with fire.
If we are casual about believing God, we are crazy. He is NOT casual about us. He is a watchful parent. He has drawn the lines and made the way. His path is established. If we believe, we understand His expectations, His rewards, His wrath and His love for us.
Faith pleases the LORD. Let us be people of deep water faith.
Pray with me . . .
LORD, I know that I am a sinner. You have shown me ___________ about myself. Please forgive me. I believe that Jesus died to pay for my sins. He died to redeem me. Thank you for your gracious gift. I accept it, even though I do not deserve it. It is nothing I’ve earned, but instead, a gift from you. I believe you LORD. I believe your promises. Please build my faith. I want to please you. Give me a hunger for you. I want to know you fully. Show me where I falter and lead me back to you. I want to do your will. Thank you for your blessings. Thank you for your love. In Jesus perfect, loving name I pray. . .
Scripture to read: Romans 4:1-5:2.
Friday, January 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.